World's largest bakery seeks new strategic insight function
Freshminds was brought in to help Aryzta AG - one of the world’s largest frozen bakeries - find two Strategy Consultants, creating a new Strategy Insight function to empower their regions with data-driven, strategic insight for the first time.
The brand was large but relatively unknown, especially in the strategy space, and the team was being newly created so there were no precedents in place. With limited budget and time and internal pressures to add value, Aryzta needed Freshminds’ advice, network and expertise to source (and sell in the opportunity to) targeted individuals with a consulting skill set.
Aryzta AG is a global supplier of baked goods to the foodservice, retail and GSR sectors - operating 60 bakeries across the world. The group has strong brands and customer relationships in all operating regions and is driven globally by its strong customer centric focus. Our client’s strategy was to use data-driven insight as a key component of driving increased revenue, new product lines, strategic partners and clients across geographies and they needed consultants to form this strategic insight team.
Who they needed:
- Two permanent Strategy Consultants to form the core of a new Strategic Insight function within a fast-growing business.
- Candidates needed exceptional academics and to be highly numerate problem-solvers to perform data analysis, but they also needed to have the gravitas, communication and stakeholder management skills to translate their findings into executable strategies and implement them.
- Client needed to convince their traditional FMCG business about the value that would be added by a costly new Strategic Insight function. The candidates had to provide outstanding results.
- Tight budget and short timescale
- Not a well-known brand in the strategy space and new team meant it was a leap into the unknown for candidates; a new team in a very large but relatively unknown brand, no precedents or established progression routes, successful candidates would need to establish credentials across geographies in a fast-growing but quite unstructured environment
What Freshminds did
- Took a very detailed brief: enabling us not only to find the right people, but to position and explain in depth the opportunity to candidates.
- Used our established networks and targeted headhunting: The client benefitted from Freshminds’ established network of Strategy and Management Consultants. Our network is already engaged with Freshminds and trusts our judgement, which was essential for selling in a relatively unknown brand and unestablished team, and positioning it as the exciting opportunity it was. Freshminds also head-hunted additional individuals from target brands to ensure the short list was the best available.
- Dedicated time to careful positioning with candidates: Our expert team of consultants and candidate managers worked strategically to position the role carefully and discuss it at length with shortlisted candidates. They positioned the benefits of the opportunity to the candidates and the also the merits of the candidates to the client very carefully, thoroughly and professionally.
- Freshminds shortlisted 4 of suitable individuals. Client interviewed all 4. CV ratio of 2:1
- 2 expert Strategy Consultants chosen by client
- The Minds placed made a great start and have been hugely well received by the business. They hit the ground running, working on major key accounts and bakeries. They were immediately involved in pitching and drawing insight for recommendation. From a cultural perspective, they work well together and their skill sets complement each other.