Implementing a new research methodology for a leading boutique consultancy
A leading boutique consultancy had recently won a project which required a different research methodology to their current processes. Instead of conducting online surveys their client wanted face-to-face observations throughout the UK. This required a significant amount of resource which our client did not have. The project was for a major retail bank in the UK, and the study was analysing the amount of time it took to serve their customers across functions so that improvements could be made.
- Scale: this study required 900 observations across 300 retail banks in the UK from Cornwall to Scotland.
- Quality: the results of these observations were critical to the outcome of the project.
- Time: the research needed to be completed in a window of 2 weeks.
What Freshminds did
- Mapped out the number of observations which needed to be achieved against timescales, this resulted in us placing 50 observers. We resourced the team within three weeks and presented our client with a selection of individuals to interview so that they were aware of the calibre throughout. We focused on individuals who had a desire to move into or had experience of working in consulting and/or banking, this ensured that everyone was very motivated to complete the project.
- Advised them to take on a Project Manager to work internally at their head office and act as one point of contact for all the observers. The Project Manager also managed all of the logistics: communicating the schedule, booking hotels and travel. They had daily conference calls with the team to ensure that any challenges were shared throughout the group. They collated results, analysed the data in Excel to show key trends and insights. These results were reported back to the client on a weekly basis, as well as recommendations and suggestions for further analysis.
- Freshminds suggested a meet and greet session before the study so that the team got to know each other and worked in collaboration throughout, even though they were placed in different locations.
The project was a great success and our client now embeds this research methodology as part of their sales pitch across a range of other projects. Since then, we have worked on three similar assignments. After the project, we received a very positive feedback from our client...
‘’I just wanted to take the opportunity and once again say a huge thank you for the general quality of work and professionalism which Freshminds exhibited throughout the project. I know that this was a new and different project for both of us, as well as one of substantial size, but together we were able to execute it to very high quality and within the expected timescales. I would like to thank Rachael in particular for her dedication throughout every stage of the project; from the preparatory work and extensive candidate screening through to ongoing communication and swift management of any challenges that came up. It has been a genuine pleasure to work with all of you and I hope that we have the chance to do so again in the near future.’’
…and from one of the interims…
"It has been a pleasure to work on this project and a great opportunity and insight into retail banking. I hope to work with Freshminds at some point in the future!"